The Journey

Friday, May 12, 2006

Fun with needles

So, I wasn't able to go to school yesterday because Declan woke up with very gunky eyes and one was pretty darn swollen. If this was "pink eye" it would be the 10 infection this year! I'm not really buying it at this point.

I took him to the Dr., who asked "any new pets in the house?" Crap! I realize I have to get him tested for allergies. We've always suspected he has allergies (his bio-dad had TONS of allergies). I have to figure out if it's Moe while he is young enough and cute enough to find a new home for.

The trip to the allergist was a nightmare. Declan freaked out. We tried to draw blood, but he wouldn't stand for that. Then we tried the skin tests, and only 4 tests in he is freaking out. They actually did do a skin test of cats, and it didn't react. They said it wasn't reliable because they didn't do the 'control' tests.

So, I'm the the middle of a mess here. I'm inclined to say it's NOT Moe as he hasn't had any kind of CONSISTENT reaction. Then again I'm not a Dr. I did have him rub his nose on Moe to see if he would get a runny or a stuffy nose - nothing.

What do you guys think?

Apparently when I was out of the room the Dr told my Mom something like "He does have allergies so I wouldn't have a cat in the house" If he's not allergic to cats, why would it matter. I've talked to Declan about finding a new home for Moe he says "But I love him."

4 Comments:

  • Hi
    I read your post, but hadn't commented yet!
    Um I have LOTS of allergies (food, environment, horses, hay, grass, pollen, ragweed etc) and I do have a cat.
    I would of thought that if it was the cat - wouldn't he have started right away sneezing? swollen eyes? I know allergies can develop. In 2/4 tests I have come up as allergic to cats - other people's cats do tend to bother me but my own I guess I acclimatized to. My friend is the same, he has a cat and is ok but other cats make him sick. There are things you can do to - it is not the fur but the dander, your vet might have some suggestions.
    A friend of mine had a baby that was allergic, so her cats don't go upstairs and she has them groomed. It seems to have done the trick
    At this time of year though, you may find your son is suffering from seasonal allergies - this is the time of year when it is the worst for us allergic folk!

    Best wishes,
    Kathryn

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:28 PM  

  • I agree with Kathryn. I have REALLY bad seasonal allergies and this time of year is the WORST on the coast (trees). Eastern Washington, my worst time is late summer during hay harvesting. Also allergic to some nuts, fruits (seasonally) and dust. BUUUUUTTTTTT, I have cats as you know and they have never bothered me. I am suspecting it's something else that he's allergic to. The dander might be aggravating it, but I highly doubt that is the source of the primary allergy.

    BTW....I'd go back and FORCE him to get the allergy test done. You really need to know what you're working with so you can try to eliminate whatever it is that's in his environment. Also, just really good to know for him in the future. I was going to suggest drugging him with a little benadryl, but since it's an ALLERGY test you're doing, I'm not so sure that would be a good idea. :)

    Good luck and keep us posted!

    By Blogger He who wears the most black wins., at 7:46 PM  

  • Yeah, I was really all for just holding him down and getting it done...the Dr wasn't interested in that approach. I also asked about sedating him...
    I've found out that a family I babysit for -the dad is a pediatric allergist. I'm going to call and try and get him in.

    By Blogger One Boys Mom, at 9:22 PM  

  • He there:

    I was just browsing some blogs and ran across yours. My son tested positive for cats (as well as a host of other things) and all that we need to do is have the cat bathed once a month. It's actually better to keep the cat around, rather than getting rid of her, according to the doctor. My recommendation, skip the skin test and just start getting the cat bathed monthly and see if it clears up. Also, try putting allergy covers on both his and your mattresses and pillows and wash all your bedding in HOT water at least every two weeks. These small changes are all that's required in most cases. BTW, it's probably not seasonal allergies, as your son has not lived through enough "seasons" to have developed them yet.

    Good luck!
    Laura (Dean's Mommy)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home