The Journey

Friday, July 04, 2008

Geocaching and Surgery



So, I've discovered a new hobby it's called geocaching. It's basically high tech treasure hunting and it's crazy how many caches there are. If you want to know more, check out geocaching.com. It seems like it will be a pretty fun activity to do with Declan this summer. It does require a GPS. I bought a Tomtom for a very reasonable 150.00. It's proving to be lots of fun in the car as well.

Here is a picture of some cache stuff I purchased today. Since I've found 3, I figure I'm ready to hide my own cache!



As for the surgery part of my post...my iBook died and so I took advantage of the great educators deal this summer and purchased a new MacBook...which came with a free iTouch! I was looking to upgrade the ram in my Apples (I can double the ram in both for less than 100 if I do it myself). After ordering my new memory...I figured perhaps I could get the iBook up and running. The tech person at the Apple store said it was a dead hard drive. I found one for 70 online and figured that I can do it myself and suddenly I have a laptop to sell worth about 400.00. The tech person said installing a hard drive on the iBook is VERY difficult, she said she wouldn't try it at home because it involves 50 screws...which was an odd thing for a tech person to say.



I'm pretty fearless and thought it would be fun, so tonight I disassembled my iBook. It took about 60 minutes and there were only 46 screws involved, not 50! So, it's now sitting in a box waiting for my new hard drive to arrive, let's hope it works. Below are the start and finish picture of phase one of the iBook surgery. I'm so proud of the little mess I made.


And as for my new Macbook, it's unbelievable how easy it is to install a new hard drive (if I ever need to). I'm sure I could do it in 5 minutes. TWO screws, it's right in the battery compartment - cool!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home