The Journey

Monday, March 06, 2006

Grading papers is a lot of work!

We just finished a unit, so there has been a ton of grading. I graded a unit assessment, which took two full days of class time (luckily the time was available as my MT administered another test) Then I spent the weekend grading an exit exam. The kids must pass exit exams to move on to high school (unless Mommy and Daddy throw a fit...then they move on even if they are really not ready to) . The next two days will be spent doing the lab portion of their exit exam. It is interesting to see how you become better at grading as you go along. Sometimes I don't understand what the kids are saying. I then have an "ah ha" moment and have to go back and look for tests to re-grade. I found that I also assumed some things, if the test says to label a diagram, I ASSUME they should label it in the proper order. After grading 30 tests it occurs to me "Did the test question SAY to label it in the proper order?" So once again I try to go back and give points if applicable. I suppose some of those will be non issues as I create my own grading rubrics and I just get better at being more literal.

I've been sick again, so I only graded papers and worked on my resume over the weekend. I've seen a few job posting put up in the last few days and I realized that I don't have my resume or cover letter ready to go.

This last quarter of school is crazy: full-time student teaching, conducting my action research (and the lit review that goes along with it), putting together my Master's Project and my portfolio, JOB HUNTING, and last but most importantly being a Mom to my wonderful son (last night my Mom pointed out that I just haven't had much time for him lately -really? - and she's concerned in her motherly way). Oh yeah somewhere in there I need to eeek out a little "me" time or I'll go crazy!!!

I'm off to face my 1st period class with 4 delightful young ladies who, as they put it "love to try to piss me off". It's almost always down hill after 1st period. Oh yeah one day this week I get to take a field trip with 140 13-year-olds, you're all jealous aren't you :)

3 Comments:

  • It takes a special person to be a teacher. I know I couldn't do it. I lack the patience.

    Sounds like you are doing a great job!

    By Blogger Casey, at 7:40 PM  

  • Where do I sign up to be with 140 13-year olds?.....I want to be as far away from there as possible!

    Good luck to you! With all you have to juggle, it really sounds like you are doing great, and keeping your priorities in order. I have an idea of what you are going through. It's not easy, but you are going to make it!
    -D

    By Blogger Dakota, at 12:09 PM  

  • Wow, I don't know how you handle so many in that age group, kudos to you.

    By Blogger Laura, at 6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home