The Journey

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

So, those of you who are reading my blog are no doubt wondering how the detention and essay turned out. Well, the girls were PISSED, so they ended up coming at me in a pack and as a result, I sent 3 down to do in-school suspention for the rest of the class period. Overall, there have been some good things to come out of it, and it has certainly been a learning experience for me. I definitely want to avoid power struggles with 14 year olds ...and that has been advised over and over (and this has taken up WAY too much of my time). I'm trying to memorize a few key prases and use them frequently "I need you to step out into the hall and I'll be right with you" "That really doesn't work for me" "I'd be happy to discuss that with you, just not during class time. See me at the end of class and we can make appointment to meet before school, after school or during lunch."

And lastly, a new skill I've aquired is to just ignore students when appropriate, which goes completely against my nature.

For your amusement below you'll find one of the essays turned into me yesterday:



Student X
2-28-06
Lunch Detention Essay

Working independently without talking will increase my learning because I won’t get distracted. It will also increase my learning because if I am not talking to someone when I am not supposed to be then I won’t get into trouble with the teacher. My peers will benefit when I work quietly because then they won’t get distracted by me and I won’t decrease their learning.

I don’t intend on decreasing the learning and listening of others. Students do need to be able to talk sometimes. Having student teachers, they don’t really help because they are learning on how to become a teacher so it shouldn’t be their job to discipline because they don’t have a good reason doing so. I don’t think it was right having to owe a teacher 15 minutes of OUR time to her because we have to be with teachers all day and we should have a break from those kinds of mean teachers. I don’t think it was right for her to do that also because, well she’s learning, but if you want to become a teacher you do have to start off getting the students to like you. Not starting to get the students to hate you.

I do very much want to be known as a good student, but having hard work and then not being able to work with other classmates on it won’t benefit us as much as teachers think it will. In the end, things probably will bet better after all the lunch detentions assigned. It could also get much worse. Who knows?

1 Comments:

  • Oh wow. So unimpressed. She may just as well have written: I know all the good reasons why I shouldn't talk in class, but I need to tell you how really right I am and how really wrong you are. She's so on the verge of being reasonable and then misses the mark. I don't think I could handle that much teen-ageness. I don't know what I'll do when our kids turn into those odd little monsters. Maybe med school? *grin*
    More power to you! You are doing great!
    -D

    By Blogger Dakota, at 12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home