The Journey

Monday, March 12, 2007

Sub Notes

Last week:

Subbed in a local high school in a smaller community. I was called a "Bitch" by one young man as he left the room. I talked to an assistant about it and she replied "He's B.D." I asked about writing up a referral for him, she replied again" He's B.D. " (Behavior Disorder)

SOOO I guess there is no consequence for B.D. kids at that school. Hummm I wonder if a lack of consequence is a factor in why some of these kids are B.D. Also, shouldn't B.D. kids still be held accountable for their actions? I don't know, I'm not a special ed teacher, but something seems strange. Other than this young man, the whole class was just horrible, out of control. It is the only time I have considered calling an administrator to my classroom.

Also strange that this is the only high school I've worked at that doesn't have an in school suspension room. They can't afford to hire someone to staff a detention room at 8.00 per hour, but they do employ a police officer full-time. I guess he breaks up fights? The assistant in my class seemed a little put off by the situation.

And in the same week, at a different High School, I was told that I was just "The coolest sub ever." These kids were begging me to come teach at their school next year. The difference? A room of "regular" kids plus TEN B.D. kids and a room of A.P. kids. Declan will DEFINITELY be taking AP English and Science once he hits middle school.

And today (at year a different High School) I sent SEVEN kids to detention within the first 10 minutes of class. I've never sent that many in a day, much less one class; it was a crazy day. The good news is that other kids heard about the "Mean Sub" (their words, not mine) and behaved very well :)

You just never know what you're going to get as a sub.

3 Comments:

  • I gotta say, homeschooling keeps looking more and more attractive and my eldest moves closer to being in school!

    Where the hell were these kids' parents when it was time to teach common decency, manners, respect for elders, and respect for self?!

    Sorry about your day. :(

    By Blogger He who wears the most black wins., at 12:20 PM  

  • Ouch! What an emotionally exhausting experience. I keep being tempted by the ed program here at CWU... I should really think about what life would feel like before I jump in.

    By Blogger Christy, at 10:29 PM  

  • Sounds like the school you were at doesn't know how to set boundaries. As a mom of two ADHD children and one of them with high function autism as well, they should still be held accountable. I know one kid here who is 16 and noone wants to employ him. He graduates high school next year and has no clue of the real world because they were so busy coddling him. I treat my kids as though they don't have a disability. Of course there are a few modifications to their education but when it comes to behavior, we don't bend. You have to be very strict as they cannot control their behaviors. I have always told my son that he has to learn to adapt his disability into a positive thing for him. I tell him that the world isn't gonna change for him and that if he wants to make it, he must make an effort to get this disability under control. They can but most choose not to and parents don't enforce. BTW this is Stephy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home