The Journey

Thursday, January 19, 2006





Today I'm feeling frazzled. I can't seem to focus. Meeting with my advisor at school to lock down issues with my student teaching/action research/job hunting etc.. I think most of my issues revolve around finalizing my job search plan. It's such a huge decision, this will have life-long impacts on Declan's life. Once I "settle" somewhere as a teacher I'll be there until retirement. It is very difficult to pick up and move when you're 55 (meaning that once you hit 50, it's pretty hard to get a full-time teaching position) so once I settle I'll probably be there until I'm 65 or 72... how long does the government expect us to work?

There are some great advantages to raising a child in a small and somewhat isolated community, but who knows where he'll go when he is 18. Of course I know there are no guarantees regarding that. However, the chances are better that your children will live nearby - even in the same town :) when there are more employment opportunities. I know this speculation is concerning issues pretty far in the future, but I think about it.

I really don't like the idea of living in an apartment for the rest of my life having no control over the increase in rent, putting up with people playing their stereos too loud or jumping on your ceiling, and of course sending Declan out to play in the parking lot just does not appeal. I'm also thinking if I rent that maybe I should still rent in a smaller community, this town is just tooo big. To much anonymity and opportunity for kids to go down a undesirable path. Just where is Bedford Falls? Everwood?

Ultimately, I think it's best to plan for the near future, but it's important to see what the domino effect might be 10 or 20 years down the road.

I also need to work on figuring out the real cost of owning a house. I need to check on PMI insurance, house insurance, flood insurance, utilities...all those things that really add up and then compare it to renting. I have estimates, but I need Solid figures.

Then there is always leaving friends behind...again. Insert big sigh here :( (sorry to bring that up Marla, Betsy, and other Marla)

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home