The Journey

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Today went rather well - I had no encounters with flying candy! I actually enjoy subbing at the high school. I usually end up doing choir or band. Kids who are into the arts in high school are usually the nicest kids. Its all those slackers who take choir or drama "cause it's an easy 'A', man" who are a pain in the #$!. Subbing at the high school really consists of just keeping an eye on the kids while they work independently or visiting with them. I had the chance to work on some homework today which was nice.

The kids were hanging out in the room during lunch and they started discussing The Gay Guy. "In 7th grade he denied it!" "When did he come out?" "I don't have anything against them, but I don't get it, its wrong." "Gay guys are sooo cool to go clothes shopping with!" "What about gay marriage?" "Marriage is a Christian institution. I mean I think they should have rights, but not marriage, no way! " "I don't care one way or the other." "I think gays are getting screwed on the whole marriage thing!"

Over all I was petty impressed with the discussion. The kids certainly didn't agree, but everyone spoke their mind and they listened to one another. I've taught this class three times now. The first two times, The Gay Guy would hang out on the couch snuggling with his boyfriend. I was completely surprised (this is still a pretty small, red neck community). I suspected they were trying to shock me with the PDA. I talked to The Gay Guy on my second day; asked him what it was like to be a gay kid in high school in 2005. He said he use to get hassled, but that kids are O.K. with it now. His family is another story. His dad won't even talk to him. Apparently they have purchased a one way ticket to New York after graduation this year.

Another note - two days before I subbed in this class for the first time, I took my son to see the high school play. This kid comes out on stage and within 5 minutes I'm thinking "That kid is gay." It was during that moment I decided that God just couldn't have an issue with gay people. This kid was so clearly gay, its sooo genetic in some cases. You meet these kids that are 6 or 10 and you just know they are gay. I'm also thinking who WANTS to be gay in high school ?! God created it, how could he fault someone for who they are at their core. I'm having this conversation in my head during The Wizard of OZ. I sub two days later and this kid is in my class (THREE times that day) --He's The Gay Guy.

1 Comments:

  • Wow - I am so impressed that high school students are having intelligent discussion about being gay and that this guy seems to be, hopefully accepted, and at the very least, tolerated, rather than being beat up. There is hope for our world!

    By the way, I can't believe what a big boy Declan has become. What a cutie :) When you aren't being frustrated, you must be so proud of how well the two of you have done. You should be! Congrats on almost having your master's completed!
    -D

    By Blogger Dakota, at 9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home