The Journey

Thursday, March 09, 2006


Quick post tonight.

My son loves to talk. I've come up with a way of getting him to STOP talking and go to sleep at night; he is allowed to ask ONE last question. Last night he said "This is going to be a big one Mom"

"O.K. " I reply.

He thinks for a moment and then asks "Why does the world spin around and around?"

I'm immediately confused. I've just been teaching a Sun, Earth and Moon unit for the last two weeks, and I'm talking daily about the earths "rotation on it's axis". I wonder, have I talked with him about this? Weird, I don't remember that. So I ask "Well, Declan, how do you know that the Earth spins?"

"They said it does on Big Big World."

I realize that while we've discussed the earths rotation at great length, we haven't discussed WHY it rotates. Humm. I fess up "Oh.... Well.... I don't know. I'll figure that out and tell you tomorrow."

He seems completely O.K. with the fact he'll have to wait for an answer but says "Maybe it's because of energy." (We talk a lot about how food and sleep give his body energy)

"Maybe" I reply. Where does this kid come up with this stuff?!

So I kiss him good night and cuddle up, waiting for him to fall asleep. A few minutes go by and he whispers "Why do people cut down trees?"

I remind him, "Honey, you've already asked your 'last question'."

Drifting off to sleep he mumurs, "That's a hard one too, huh?" That's my Declan, falling asleep thinking about the solar system and trees....

Student teaching is good. Things are just crazy. To much to do and to little time. Saturday is the last day of classes!!!!

1 Comments:

  • We always have great bed time talks with our kids. Your son might enjoy my "Save the Animals" blog. I spent three weeks in Kenya shooting a video and now we are helping the Cheetah Conservation Fund and the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy to save endangered species.

    Cheers

    By Blogger Paul, at 7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home