The Journey

Friday, February 17, 2006

So, my first week is behind me and only 16 weeks to go! I'll basically be teaching full-time next week. I'm already doubting whether or not I will apply for positions teaching in 8th grade. I really think you get the worst attitude from 8th graders. I don't like the extreme attitudes and having to maintain such tight control over the class the whole time. I want to connect and work as a team with the students and that is very difficult at this age. We'll see how things progress. Individually I'm meeting a lot of kids that I really like, but it's the group dynamic that is so stressful to deal with. Never was cool more important than in 8th grade.

The more I think about job hunting, the more confused I get. My Dad was just telling me he'd like me to consider living with them.. in the mother-in-law apartment where I currently live for the next five years and save some money. The problem with that is..well living with your parents is a bit challenging for some parenting issues involving my son, dealing with a small housing space, and there is the whole self-esteem issue of telling people you live with your parents. It is an awesome place for my son. My parents have 1 acre in "the country" with lots of space to roam and plenty of room for playing in the dirt and planting pumpkins. My Dad has offered to remodel our current living space that would practically double the square footage. I'm living in the bottom floor of a two-story building and he would add a stairway and turn the upstairs into a big bedroom/play space for Declan. That would mean I would have a full kitchen on the main floor: a regular size fridge (instead of my ity- bity one) and a STOVE.

So, another problem is that the amount I would save each year is pretty much the same amount of appreciation I would see if I owned a house. I guess ultimately it will come down to which school district offers me a job first. I also like the idea of moving to a small community and building a new life for me and Declan. I still haven't decided if I'll apply for jobs around here, but it will be tempting as I see jobs posted. There is a part of me that feels a little desperate and I want to apply everywhere just to increase my odds of getting a job. I have to be careful with that, because in this profession once you accept a job, you can't back out if something better comes along. Well, you can, but it leaves a black mark on your teaching certificate so that all future employers will know you are UNRELIABLE.

Okay, well now I'm rambling....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home