The Journey

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

So far, I've had two subbing jobs this week. On Monday I took a job working with the special ed kids. I could have worked in a 2nd grade class, but I was interested in seeing what special ed was like. Wow was that a long day. It seemed 3x as long as my ordinary day with 8th graders. Every 1/2 hour I had a new group of students...usually 3 -5. It was good because I worked with Kindergarten - 5th. I think I just prefer the dynamic of working with a class of students, not such a small group for such a short period of time. One group of Kindergarteners was FANTASTIC the other was a pain...overall I just think that age group is not for me. I already deal with that at home.

The teacher I subbed for was there for the first few minutes and recognized me. I was asked "Hey, weren't you the Artful Dodger?" Apparently we were in a play together in highschool. She was an elementary student who played an orphan and I was the Artful Dodger. I guess I made an impresson back then.

Yesterday I subbed in an 8th grade math and science class - that was familiar territory.

Thanks for the responses to my previous post. I wasn't in the best mood this past weekend. An interesting note - I received a text message from a dear friend a couple of days ago it said "Was thinking of you. Just wanted to let you know that you're such a together woman with all the right priorities." I thought it was so kind, and I called and said "I guess you've been reading my blog." She said "No." God really does put the right people in your life...

1 Comments:

  • Whew--I'm so glad you finally posted a new report, and you're feeling better! If we didn't get in a funk sometimes we wouldn't know how great it is to feel happy.
    You're a talented mom and Declan is lucky to be with you almost all the time. You have to deal with the good and the bad of childrearing that way, but you get way more of the good.
    Interesting to hear your comments about special ed, because I felt the same way. It is the control-freak in us that must have our own classes, developing our own lessons.
    Final thought: Alexis and I would love to have Declan for an outing this summer sometime--would be fun to take him to a park or movie.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home