The Journey

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

A day on 'Declan Time'


I am working on something these days in hopes of feeling more at peace with myself now that I'm a working Mom: I am trying to be aware of when I am on "Mama Time" vs. "Declan Time". I am the kind of person who is ALWAYS in a hurry, even if I'm grocery shopping. I pretty much have two speeds: full throttle or stop. All you Mothers know - full throttle DOES NOT work with a child.

For the first 19 months of Declan's life I was ALWAYS on "Declan Time". I was going through life in first gear. Moving along, very slowing, taking everything in. I suddenly became a single parent and I reverted back to the old me. Hurry up and move, hurry up and get a degree, hurry up and.... well, just hurry. I spend too much time worrying, planning and working for the future. The Journey. The Journey! What about The Journey?

I know that there are times when I MUST be on "Mama Time" to pay the bills and get us fed, ect. But TOO, TOO often I could live my life on "Declan Time", crusin' along in 1st gear gettin' it done, enjoying the ride.

I'm trying to be aware, EVERY day, of when I CAN can live my life on "Declan Time". It has, after all, been the best time of my life.


So today, all day, is a "Declan Time" day. No schedule, no place to be. Nothing HAS to get done, I can just enjoy the view.

3 Comments:

  • That's awesome! I need to learn to allow myself to be on kid tome more often as well. There is no race and life will not end if we take 30 minutes to put on shoes and get out the door. Or at least, I don't *think* it will end. :)

    Good post. Thanks for the reminder to slow down and enjoy their childhood.

    By Blogger Casey, at 12:34 PM  

  • Tome? Sheesh. I meant time. See? I even try to type too darn fast. :)

    Would I really die if I stopped to re-read things *before* I hit post? :)

    By Blogger Casey, at 12:35 PM  

  • Thanks for the reminder. That was so good and SO timely.

    Enjoy a Declan Time day.

    By Blogger He who wears the most black wins., at 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home