The Journey

Thursday, January 18, 2007

"I SUPER love Math!"

I know some of you are worried that I'm letting my son's brain turn to mush with the Nintendo, so I thought I'd share some of our other activities / routines.

Last night when I pulled out the Math Book. Declan got sooo excited and proclaimed "I SUPER love math!" We have started working on math daily and he thinks it is sooo fun. Well, really he hates the writing part (having to write his answers), but he loves working the problems. He totally gets simple addition and subtraction and patterns. I think it's time to work on understanding the whole ten base concept.

Notice the stars at the top? He gets soooo excited when I give him stars on his papers. I told him this was worth THREE stars because he did it so quickly all by himself. He will often quickly give me the answers and then it's a struggle to get him to WRITE the answers on the paper.

Another new routine, inspired by a favorite book "Diary of a Worm" is nightly journaling. He loves it too. He also loves to read his past journals. It has turned out to be a great way of seeing his point of view on things and documenting his day.

Lastly, in hopes of working on his attitude among other things, I've started a daily sticker chart. It's interesting how easily he'll give up a reward for things like getting dressed. He hates getting himself dressed!

Still leaning towards no Kindergarten next year. I want to avoid academic pressure until it's absolutely necessary. He will not attempt to read, but loves books and being read to. Clearly he has issues with writing...

3 Comments:

  • :) Ahh.....this is sweet music to my ears. He'll do just fine with Kindergarten too. Not too much pressure there and the interaction with lots of other kids that age is a good guage for him.

    I must admit, it's hard for me to watch videos of kids playing video games (as you accurately guessed. ;)) I think it actually hurts a little bit.

    Nough said. ;)

    By Blogger He who wears the most black wins., at 10:23 AM  

  • My daughter is in love with math and patterns too. It's so nice to hear that math is fun. Speaking of fun, I don't think a there is anything wrong with a little video game play. Especially when supervised by a loving parent. Here are some of the positive effects of video games:

    1. They are an activity that children and their parents can play together.
    2. The games give children practice in following directions and introduce players to computer technology.
    3. They provide practice in problem solving, logic, and fine motor and spatial skills.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:23 AM  

  • As an early childhood educator, I'd definitely say send him to kindergarten when he's age-eligible.

    HE doesn't need to be ready for kindergarten. KINDERGARTEN needs to be ready for him. That's the theory, anyway. If he's 5, especially well before the cut off date for eligibility, he should go. Socially, it's much better in both the short and long term to keep him with his age mates. If you want more info on the practice of holding back, which is called "red shirting", I'll send you some info.

    Ultimately, it's your decision, though. I don't know you or Declan or your reasons.

    Just my own 10 cents.

    Mel (we also LOVE math and patterns around here -- make sure you're using lots of hands-on stuff and manipulatives in addition to your math book)

    By Blogger em1__mak2, at 10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home