The Journey

Monday, July 09, 2007

Sometimes...


They make you so proud:

Today at VBS, we were discussing Jerimiah 17:7 "Blessed is the man who trusts God, whose confidence is in Him." I'm a parent helper in a room where we are practicing this verse as a group (which is way too much memorization for 4/5 year olds). I cannot take it any longer, realizing that most of these kids (most likely mine included) have NO idea what confidence means:

Me: (raising my hand) "What does confidence mean?"

Teacher: "ooo good question! Does anyone know what confidence means?"

Most kids: "Nooooo"

A few raise their hands, including Declan. (I can't believe he is willing to speak in front of 30 kids and I'm curious to see if he knows the word).

Declan: "Well, I know one of the words. It might mean something else, but I know one."

Teacher: "Well, what do you think it means?"

Dec: "Well, like when someone tells you something, but it's like a secret."

Holy Cow!! I look at the other adults in the room and shrug cause I had NO idea that was coming.


AND sometimes you just want to Spank them really hard:

Me: "Declan, you need to STOP getting out MY door in the car. I've told you over and over. You keep getting my seat dirty."

Dec: "Well Mom, that's just the way I've always done it. A person can't just change the way they do something!"

Me: "That is NOT an acceptable answer."

Dec "But Mom..."

Me: "I DO NOT want to discuss it. Your telling me you can't do it any other way is NOT acceptable."

pause, pause, pause...

Dec: "Okay. I just have to say one thing. I can get out any door on the car except mine, Okay?"

Let me tell you, this is NOT an O.K. kind of conversation to be having with a 5-year-old.

stub·born
adj. stub·born·er, stub·born·est

a. Unreasonably, often perversely unyielding; bullheaded.
b. Firmly resolved or determined; resolute. See Synonyms at
obstinate.
2. Characterized by perseverance; persistent.
3. Difficult to treat or deal with; resistant to treatment or effort

3 Comments:

  • Don't be so sure about the "way too much memorization for three and four year olds". I'd venture to guess that if you started reciting the Lord's prayer, a mealtime prayer, or the Pledge of Allegiance with them every day, most of them would have it down in about three days. Remember, their brains are just WIRED for learning at this young age!!

    By Blogger He who wears the most black wins., at 6:06 PM  

  • They have them "memorizing" a new verse EACH day. Odd choice to me, but guess it's part of the program they chose for this year.

    By Blogger One Boys Mom, at 6:12 PM  

  • Declan is hysterical. Smart and stubborn, it makes for an amusing combo. Thanks for the story. :)

    By Blogger Christy, at 7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home