The Journey

Friday, January 20, 2006

Genesis 6:5
"The Lord saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time."

So, I'm on a journey to develop myself spiritually and evaluate the teachings of my youth. I want to define (and embrace) my own beliefs based on my OWN understanding of God and the Bible. Consequently, I've been reading through the Bible (I want to read through the entire book). I thought I might as well post my questions on my blog. It would be interesting/helpful to get the perspective of others.

I read this verse and thought "WHAT?" Am I suppose to take that literally? Our world is in pretty bad shape these days, but I would never say people only think bad thoughts all the time. How could things have really been THAT bad hundreds of thousand of years ago? Any thoughts out there? Are we suppose to take this literally?

1 Comments:

  • I read the entire Bible - old and new testaments in one semester as an undergrad. Can't say that I remember a ton from that class, but one thing I really remember is that we need to look at everything that was written in historical and political perspective. Whether or not you believe the Bible is the word of God, it had to be written for it's time and in a way that could be understood by the society it was meant for (we'd probably call it "target audience" these days!). So...what was the context of the passage and what behavior was being justified by it? I personally would be tempted not to take much literally, especially since context and translations takes us so far from when it was written, but that is a reflection of my own bias.

    Good luck on your journey!
    -D

    By Blogger Dakota, at 12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home