The Journey

Wednesday, March 29, 2006



Better pictures of the new hairstyle.

Yesterday for school he wanted to wear it down. Today he wanted it up. I've told him this is a "pretend" Mohawk (because the sides aren't really shaved all the way). When I leave the front down, it really doesn't look that interesting. He told me this morning that he wants a "REAL" Mohawk when he gets to Heaven. I asked him why, he replies: "When I get to Heaven, first I'm gonna choose a house (?) and then I'm going to get my hair cut". It is sooo interesting to hear the things a nearly 4-year-old mind comes up with.

My Mom hates the hair-cut because "she'd old fashioned" (a saying that Declan is fascinated with) and my Dad is amused by it. I'm sure Nicole is a little freaked out by it, aren't you Nicole? :)

Fear not. We'll have fun for a few days and then I'll cut it into something more acceptable by society. He is going to visit his other Mom this weekend, should I cut it before or after the visit? He was very excited on the phone last night when he told her he had a Mohawk, she sounded stunned/appalled then he said "it's a PRETEND Mohawk", and she said something like "Ohhhh" and I'm sure her pulse stopped racing at that point.

Student teaching is going well, I'm almost headed into my mathematics teaching phase. My new MT said "we'll just be coving things like equations and percentages..you know simple things." Okay, my reality is that I don't ever have to use equations or percentages. I will have to read the textbook and refresh my memory before covering these topics. I worry that he'll think I'm an idiot who should NOT be teaching math..

It seems that the reality for most teachers is that you have to learn with the kids for the first year or two and then you really know the information because you're using it all the time. Unless you're a math or science major fresh out of school, you're not using that information on a regular basis. Also, I feel like I'm a fairly strong writer, but I don't think about adjectives and adverbs on a daily basis and I couldn't just break down the parts of speech or the parts of a sentence without a little review (O.K. maybe A LOT of review). I feel like I didn't retain a lot of that academic knowledge, but then again I did score in the top 15% of all test takers for the PRAXIS, so I must be in the normal range...I keep reminding myself of that :) ---"I am normal, I am normal, I am normal, I am normal" (no comments from those who know me IRL)

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home