The Journey

Wednesday, March 22, 2006


Taken on my trip to BEAUTIFUL Eastern Washington. The sky is sooo amazing; it is always so brite and sunny, but also filled with these fluffy white clouds. The state of Washington is really unique. One side of the state is lush and forested, even including a rain forest, with mild temperatures. You take a short 3 hour drive and its sunny and HOT and you will find yourself in a beautiful dessert.

Being raised on the heavily forested rainy side, I really love and appreciate the seasons, terrain, and sunny, sunny days year-round on the ES (east side).

Another BIG difference? You can't touch a house on the west side for less than 150K. On the East side? You still have a nice selection of cute starter homes for 70K.

I had a good visit. Two of my closest friends live on the ES and it was very good to see them. Before the "Big Split" we all lived on the WS (west side) and had tons of play-dates and family get togethers several times a week. Within one year we all scattered, even as far as Pittsburgh. It's so interesting that within the next few months we may all be living very close-by again on the ES.

While on the ES I had a chance to meet with principals at two of the middle schools. I really liked one school initially more than the other, but ultimately I can't be choosy when I get that first job offer. Also, you can't really judge where you'll fit in best until you're in the thick of it. During my visit, I had mixed emotions of excitement and anxiety. In many ways I am SOOO ready to move on, but I'm nervous about the transition and putting down roots in a new community. I'm also feeling pretty sad about moving into this new phase of life, and what it will mean to me to be a working single Mom. I've been so blessed to be home with Declan most of these first 4 years...I keep thinking should I stay where I'm at and only work part-time during his last year before Kindergarten. I talked to a friend this morning and realized that I think I'm just sad about leaving this part of Declan's childhood behind; it probably is time to move forward.

I talked with Declan this morning and he really seems ready to move. Infact he is very excited. The only hesitation he has is not living right next to his Grandparents. He is really baffled by the concept that we can't just always live so close (O.K. maybe we could...but how healthy would that be? Believe me there is a part of me that never wants to leave- what do you think of that Mom;) .

So, I'm working like crazy to put together my application packets for the different school districts. I'm also trying to get my placement file in order. It just seems like there are always extra hoops to jump through in relation to teaching, the application process is no different.

I'm adding a few photos. The two girls are daughters of my wonderful friends. Poor Declan is going to have sooo many crushes once he hits puberty, and realizes that these girls he has played with all these years are just SO CUTE. The beautiful girl with the big smile is Ella, she is very precocious, smart, and fearless. The sweet sleeping girl is Maddie- you've seen her before. Should we start a fund so that her parents can buy her an appropriate place to sleep? The handsome fellow is Paxton, Declan's buddy since 3 weeks old. He is a Gentle Giant (5 inches taller than Dec), different than Declan in every way. If we live close-by I'm sure they be best buds as they compliment each other sooo well (if Paxton can put up with Declans crazy wall-climbing, jumping, screaming energy...of course, later he'll have to deal with Declan having a crush on his little sis - Ella)






Okay, that is a quick rambling synopsis of the last 5 days. Student teaching is going well, the Principal came in to to observe me yesterday and I think it went pretty well. GWA's are still a bit of a problem and I won't even bother to go into that. I called one boy's Mom yesterday just to tell her how much I have enjoyed having her son in my class. I've decided I want to call a parent a day and tell them how much I enjoy their kids. There are several kids that have just been a delight to have.

M

1 Comments:

  • I MUST go there. Do you think 2 relatively small people might fit in your luggage?

    By Blogger em1__mak2, at 1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home