The Journey

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Boys will be....Sweet boys (mostly).

I've had Solomon over for the last two nights as his Mommy is out of town on business for a week. His Dad works nights and so he needed a place to spend a couple of nights. We love having S for sleepovers. S often sleeps over one night during the weekend when I have Declan. Fun is had by all.

Declan and Solomon have been so funny, cute, all around amuzing these last two days. The last couple of days were unusually full of anticdotes:

"The Thump"

D and S were playing in D's room. I'm a few feet away at the computer and I hear a pretty loud thump. I think to myself "humm, that sounded like a pretty bad bump." D is usually pretty damage prof and I just waited, and to my surprise he did start crying. I figured I'd better go check it out. D is sitting on the bed crying and S is hugging him saying "It's O.K. You're O.K." It was very sweet. I asked D if he was O.K. he replied "Yeah."

It was so sweet to see S comforting D.

"I'm Sad"

At bedtime, S was telling us about his plans for the next day over and over again. He actually seemed like he was barely holding it together and perhaps telling about his plans as a means of comforting himself. (His Mom was gone for a week and his Dad works nights and would pick him up in the a.m.) I finally asked "Are you O.K. S? Are you Sad?" (maybe that wasn't the best idea) the dam broke and the tears flowed. "I miss my mom."

It's so sad when S cries because it is alway so contained. (When D cries it's soo lound and external and intense). I felt so bad. I asked S if he wanted to sleep with D. He said no. I asked if he needed a hug. He said no. D heard the sound and peered down from our bed and asked what the sound was. I told him S missed his mommy. I decided to just let him have some space (he has cried before at bedtime, briefly) and went to brush my teeth.

I then hear S say "Declan, can I have a hug? I miss my Mommy."

D replied "Sure!" and crawls out of bed and gives S a big hug. Everybody is fine and goes to sleep. How cute was that?

"The Dreaded Car Rides"

Car rides with the boys have always been so much fun. It is a 40 minute drive between our houses and they always just chat away. It has always been such a cool window into their friendship. The tide has turned...I don't know WHAT has happened, but it was the only stressful time with the boys.

They both love to talk and suddenly neither one wants to listen...they only want to talk. All I heard was " I WANT TO TALK", "I NEED A TURN", "IT'S MY TURN TO TALK". They literally spend the whole time SHOUTING above each other. Eventually D would just scream as loud as he could. I tried to moderate the talking, but that didn't work very well. They had to just ride silently.

I hope that is a short lived phase, I've always loved listening to them talk in the car.

Well, I think that pretty much covers cute boy stories from the past two days.

Declan had a wonderful Birthday, my philosophy is to make the entire day all about him. From sunrise to sundown it's all about fun for Dec. I also let him have unlimted sweets and I think that was the best part of his day. His food intake for the day:

1/4 of a bagel with butter
3/4 maple bar
1 sucker
16 onces of a smoothie, freeze thing (basically frozen Kool-Aid)
1 hot dog
10 oz Kool-Aid
1 bite of pizza
1 HUGE piece of cake (like 2 normal size pieces)
1 gummi braclet
1/2 of those disgusting twist type lolly-pops

What does Declan normally get in the way of sweets? 1/2 a cookie or 3 peanut M & M's

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home