The Journey

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Today, Declan had his first try at roller skating. He did quite well. After about 15 minutes, he didn't want any help at all.Also today, while we were outside assembling (RE-assembling) Declans trampoline, Moe joined us for some fun in the play yard. You can get a good idea of his size as he easily fits through the drawbridge opening of Declan's castle.
This was taken on Moes first night with us. It was the only time he slept in our bed. Look at those blue eyes.
Our Easter fun. Declan loved coloring and then eating his eggs!


Updates:

Curves:

I've been 9 days this month. Not as many as I'd like, but nine more than last month :)

Teaching:

I had an amazing day on Friday. One of those days where I really connected with the kids. Teaching math is so great because you will literally have those moments where students loudly proclaim "OHHHH, I get it!" This happened with about 5 students at once and I felt pretty great. I also asked them if they thought I should teach math or science. I've taught them both subjects. The class loudly proclaimed "MATH". I felt pretty great about that given my history with math and my very limited education in math. I also told the kids I had a rough time with math when I was in school and some one asked why. I said "Oh, I won't go into it." They began chanting "Story, story, story." So I told them the story of my relationship with math. They were amazed and asked "How do you know all this stuff?!" (I didn't tell them that I had been doing some intense review the previous 2 hours in the teachers lounge)

Since I don't have a deep math background, I think that really gives me an edge in my teaching. I can see some spots that will confuse the students, or where the given information makes a lot of assumptions. I check to see if they have all the background needed to move forward with a concept.

Anyway...I really enjoy math. I have not had the confidence I would like to have while teaching it, but my interactions with my students is really building my confidence.

On the Job Hunt-
I've only applied to two districts. As it turns out my Assistant Principal use to teach in one of these districts, and she is making some phone calls on my behalf. Infact the principal at one of the schools I applied to was her neighbor for 5 years! Wow, what great luck. Hopefully, that will help. I don't expect to be called for interviews until mid or late May. We'll see.

1 Comments:

  • You don't have visions of him falling on his face busting all his teeth? Okay maybe that's just my own paranoia. Milo has been salivating over the first skates kit every time we pass it at Target and I'm thinking the poor kid inherited my clumsy gene and would I be asking for trouble even if I pad him from head to toe? It's the teeth, always the teeth. Let us know how Declan does and perhaps Milo will get his skates soon, too.

    And good luck on the job search. I just found some local districts with startlingly high first year salaries, in stinky neighborhoods (literally, they're near the Houston ship channel.)

    ~mel

    By Blogger em1__mak2, at 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home