The Journey

Thursday, August 31, 2006

DROWNING IN PAPERWORK


So I finally went to the courthouse today to really get the ball rolling on taking my X back to court (I've been doing online stuff and making phone calls until now). I can't believe how difficult this process is (and expensive).

It really bothers me that so many women don't get the child support due them because they just can't afford to hire a lawyer, or it really isn't cost effective to pay a few thousand dollars to get an extra 50 or 100 a month. Forget that that 50 can make quite a difference in a kids life.

I happen to be a very determined person, so I'm willing to put in the time an energy. I'm also willing to fumble through and represent myself. I have to get certified doc from the courthouse in my previous county (50.00) file them along with my petition (250.00) and all the wonderful legal docs that go with it. Then of course I have to figure out how to serve them...

Getting involved with this legal stuff gets me a little irritated again. 1) It is annoying that my X won't just work this out without getting the courts involved (do in AGREED adjustment) 2) I have to look back at all the crap I went through last time. Case in point is realizing that the Restraining Order the judge upheld is an annoying black mark everytime I go to court. What was the restraining order for? I "harassed" my X. What type of harassment? I did not damage any property, I did not make any threats. I simply sent 2 emails and left one phone message that said she was a crappy human being. I didn't even swear or cuss or call her any fowl names. I can't believe the judge....anyway it still gets me angry to think about that. I behaved MUCH better than most people in my shoes.

Okay on a better note, earlier today:

Declan: (Out of the blue, in a sweet sincere voice) "I'm not gonna have a lot of money when I get older, so I can see my kiddos more."

About a year ago we had a conversation about $$$. He wanted to know why we didn't live in a bigger house like his friends. I explained that I made a choice - Less money and all the great things money can buy, but more time with him. Guess it made an impression.

1 Comments:

  • Beautiful. Just beautiful.

    I love that he is grasping that no amount of money in the world will compensate for lost time with "kiddos". We have forever to earn lots of money--but they're only young once and it's over in a flash.

    Much love!!!

    By Blogger He who wears the most black wins., at 2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home