The Journey

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

House on the LAKE?

So my "X" calls and wants to take Declan one day later on the next visit. Because they need a little extra time to move into their "LAKE HOUSE'. What the... Declan told me they were moving to a lake house, I thought he meant a house near the lake. Because who can afford lake front property in the Seattle area? Apparently my ex and her live in can!

I pretty much freaked out. Most mothers I know would not purchase a lake house or beach house. Water and a 4 year old is pretty scary thought. Just a risk I wouldn't take. It sucks when you have no control over those things. Of course we ended up having a somewhat heated exchange which ended with my "X" commenting: "You're not the mother I thought you'd be!" I was pretty pissed and countered with "Well for the first 18 months of Declan's life, the only nice thing you said to me (and said it often) was what an amazing mother I was. And you have NO idea what kind of mother I've been in the past 2.5 years...you really don't know much about his life outside of your 6 days a month."

I'm sure she didn't like hearing about my drowning fears (the #2 killer of kids under 14), but I think her remark was bullshit! Yeah, she is obviously mother-of-the-year; rich from someone who made the choice to walk away from the family. It is especially offensive because almost EVERY decision I'm made these past two years has been all about what is best for Declan.

On the advice of a good friend of mine (who is also an attorney) I'm going to look into child support. Obviously something has changed since we were in court two years ago.

1 Comments:

  • Holy crap. Wow. Yeah - I wouldn't want my kids near a water source like that. Too much risk at this age. All it takes is a second of in-attentiveness and well....and we all think it won't happen but we all know it does.

    Wow.

    By Blogger Casey, at 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home