The Journey

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Show me the Money! (and celebrity connections)

I'm currently working as a substitute in 3 different districts. The district I've worked at the past five days is my "hometown "district, the one I would love to get a job in. One district pays 112 a day, the other pays 95 per day, but I didn't know until today what my "hometown" district pays. And when I found out (from an HR person on the phone) I had some sort of audible reaction which I can't quite recall due to my shock. I think I either gasped or said "Wow, really??" My hometown district pays a meager 90 per day. That is only to first year subs. AFTER you have subbed 30 days, then THE NEXT YEAR you will earn 130 per day. So their daily rates are outrageously high and outrageously low. Unfortunately I am on the low end of the spectrum. I was just shocked. That is 22 dollars less PER DAY then the other district, which is really just as close to my house. AND I can work everyday in the other district if I want.

I guess I'll be working 30 days in my home town district this year...not one day more. (well -maybe if a teacher who is a friend calls me). After all, I may still be subbing next year and I'll need the 40 d0llar pay bump.

Either way, it is very tough to make a living as a sub. You can only work MAYBE 8 months out of the year. Won't be paying on those student loans this year.

As for teaching in my hometown....I'm always finding out that a student is the child of so and so who I went to school with. Today I had my X-boyfriends son in my class (I told him to tell his Dad "Hi" which probably made his Dad uncomfortable). One of my good friends daughter was suppose to be in my class but she was home sick (I was in her parents wedding). Yesterday I had a girl in my classroom whose father was in my graduating class, and my boyfriend in the 5th grade. My brother is currently friends with her mom (divorced parents). The most interesting thing is that her uncle (whose last name she shares) is pretty darn famous. Sports. How horrible to have that name. Maybe all the kids are use to it I don't know. I asked her about her Dad and Mom, but didn't say a thing about her uncle (who by the way was also my boyfriend for a brief moment in 5th grade) I'm sure she was pleasantly surprised that I didn't mention him.

I also had a boy who is like 6ft 6 (freshman) in my class yesterday and during roll, I discovered that I had the 'parent connection'. I graduated with his father and use to have occasional sleepovers at his mothers house. In fact, I vividly remember hooking his parents up on one of my sleepovers (I remember due to the shockingly vivid sexual phone call they had that evening) Here is this child to show for it. He seems like a really great kid, but his parents divorced. All the connections are just weird.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home