The Journey

Friday, October 13, 2006

I forgot to mention

one of the highlights of my day yesterday. At the end of my first block class, the kids were up talking to me. I look at the board after they left and they had written "Ms. X Rools", "Ms. X is Cool" ect. It made me smile. Teaching is a profession where you get that kind of affirmation almost daily (in addition to the "Ms. X sucks" attitude or comments).

Also an update on Kung Fu. To my surprise the Sensi brought out sparring gloves the last ten minutes of class. He then paired up the kids and let them spar, ending with a group sparring match with all 8 kids. Wow, I was surprised to see that in a class with 4 year olds, much less on the 4th day of class. Declan LOVED it of course. (pictures to come)

So far I'm a little disappointed with the level of instruction. The Sensi will just say "Horse Stance", and expects the kids to get it. He doesn't say: this is a horse stance, your hands go here, your legs do this. He really expects that they will just mimmick him. I think I'm a little type A about those kinds of things... (then again I'm only paying 22 a month for classes through our parks dept, vs. 80 bucks at a local business)




I'm off to wait in line at my local Gamestop. The last time I did this it was with two good friends - shout out to Robert and Tara :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home