The Journey

Thursday, August 30, 2007

The First Week

Well...my first week as a teacher is underway. Meetings, meetings, and more meetings. Last night I met the kids and parents. I think we had about 75% attend our open house. It was a blast. I was very nervous and didn't expect to have so much fun. I did have one interesting episode where a mother who appeared to be very "intense" approached me. This was going to be her child's first public school experience, lots of concerns all around. I didn't get a great vibe from Mom, but the student seemed shy but nice. After she left the room, my team teacher approached me to tell me there was some parent who was talking with OTHER PARENTS about how her daughter was friends with another student who said I was mean and yelled a lot at the kids!! Guess which Mom this was. What is more annoying is that the kid talking about me is my cousins daughter. Who has NOT had me for a teacher and who doesn't know me, except for when I'd say "Hi" to her in the hallway last year (she always looked the other way and ignored me). My other cousins kid who attends this same school LOVES me and would always run up and hug me when she would see me in the hallway.

Turns out this Mom also approached the Principal about me and my "yelling" (The principal defended me AND pointed out that my cousin DID NOT have me for a teacher last year). BTW the same woman said she heard that the Principal is also mean...I guess everyone is just mean. Not a great way to start off the year.


That said...the staff is wonderful. My teaching team is even more wonderful and my Principal is very supportive and approachable. So, other than my "Helicopter Mom" things are shaping up to be a great year. Well, I am a little concerned about the kid with SERIOUS health issues( I'm a little nervous to discuss any details on my blog, even anonymously, but I'm pretty sure I'll be calling 911 at least once this year), don't know why they put him on the new teacher team...hummm.

Tonight I get to meet my son's new teacher, which should be interesting. She is a devout Mormon by the sound of her letter (son at BYU, son on a "mission" and daughter in Private School.. O.K. as I type that I'm getting more freaked out). My experience with Mormons tells me that they might be the least "accepting" religious types when it comes to "alternative" family situations. Ijust hope there are no issues. I like to think my son is pretty lovable and cute, regardless of his family situation.

2 Comments:

  • Loveable and cute, indeed! It's so strange to have children in SCHOOL full time. Can you believe they're already old enough and big enough for this?! I'm freaking out a little myself. Paxton starts full-time next Tuesday. All day. Every day. Whoa.

    So glad you're back! Sounds like this year will be interesting and wonderful. Hey, dull would be....well, boring. ;)

    By Blogger He who wears the most black wins., at 8:40 AM  

  • Sounds like you are ready to roll on the year ahead! K has his open house tonight and we are all eager and excited and nervous. I cna't bleieve it's school time for our babies!!

    By Blogger Casey, at 4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home