The Journey

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Another week down

Well, time is just flying by. I can't believe the weekend is half over. I stayed after school yesterday and had a "fun Friday" with my kids. Sooooo stressful. I didn't feel like I could really watch ALL the kids and I didn't want them getting into trouble. I seriously just got an upset stomach as I re-lived those 3 hours. I'm glad they had fun, but I'm wondering if I'm going to get a phone call on Monday. During the last 1/2 hour the boys all decided it would be fun to chase the girls into the girls bathroom. Ugh, they just don't get it.

I also finally got THE email from my vice-principal. The one every new teacher will get, but dreads it still the same. "When you have time today I'd like to meet with you to discuss a phone call I received from Johnny's father." Oh crap...what happened. It was so cryptic.
Turns out that Johnny told his Dad I gave all the kids lunch detention. ummm...didn't happen. Earlier in the week during the last period of the day my teaching partner opened our wall and read to the kids. She finished early and we let them have ten minutes of free time. BIG mistake. We immediately had 4 boys slapping each other (a new game) and another boy was chasing a girl around the room with scissors. We immediately close the doors and I let the crazy boys have it . I have SERIOUSLY talked with them 20 or more times about their horse play. My rule is simple - NO TOUCHING...EVER. I told the 5 boys they had just earned lunch detention and told them to go to my phone and call their parents (I was pissed and I wanted Mom and Dad to know what they'd done). I apologized to the rest of the class and said I couldn't give free time at the end of the day, because certain kids just couldn't handle it. I guess the one boy (who is a great kid by the way) thought I was giving the whole class lunch detention...

I've discovered one thing I don't like about 6th graders. Their height. Did you know that the average 6th grader's face is pretty much boob high for me? That's very awkward- as they still like to hug.

I received3 invitations today for Thanksgiving. Still mulling over what to do.

Yes, believe it or not I am still sick. I actually have felt a little worse the last couple of days, like I'm fighting off a cold. Oh to be healthy again.

Next weekend I'm headed to the beach. Even if I sit in the room by the fireplace all day...that will be O.K. with me. Well, Declan may have a problem with that. I'm going with a friend and her 3 kids, so it should be fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home