The Journey

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Subbed in the same 6th grade class today. I really, really love that age. The kids still pull alot of the same crap as the older kids, but they still have RESPECT for the teacher. They argue less when they get into touble.

I had a talk with the kids first thing about harrassement and then I had them anonymously answer some questions. Disciplined another student for making fun of a boy infront of the whole class. The kid who I sent out yesterday was suspended for 2 days (hooray!) Although his mother said "my son wasn't serious, he was only kidding" Gee, do you think the boy who he called "GAY" thought it was funny? Do 11 year old boys LIKE being "teased" or "kidded" about being GAY. Parents are going to be the worst part of teaching!

I did something today that was pretty funny, but maybe not the best choice...hummm don't really know all the boundries yet. I HATE taking roll and having to deal with the two or three jokers who answer "YO" or "WHAZUP" loudly when I call their name. Like clockwork, the class breaks up into laugher, wastes my time trying to get on with this simple task. (By the way, I can't believe how much time is wasted everyday by class clowns popping off). Today I told this class "when I call your name I want you to respond with "here" in a loud voice. I only want to hear you say "here" when I call your name. Everyone else needs to remain silent while I take attendance." So I'm calling out names and I get to "Michael" who loudly says "YO". I look up, annoyed, he has a big grin on his face and of course the class breaks up laughing (cause it's sooooo funny, and it's annoying 'cause for that moment you've lost control of the class - again) I reply (very dramatically and slowly) "O.K. class apparently Michael needs a little extra attention today. I need everyone to turn and look at Micheal. Lets give Michael our FULL attention. Do you feel better Michael?" The kid was sooo embarassed. I really enjoyed that Moment..the class laughed, I had regained control. Victory!

I wonder, did I go to far? Then again the kid obviously DID want some attention. Also, he put the target on his chest, it seemed only natural that I shoot.


Spell check not working again..forgive all spelling errors.

Last comment - I really hope I don't end up teaching English. I am too impatient and write too quickly to use proper sentence structure, punctuation, etc.. People will expect my writing to be perfect if I teach English. That would suck!

3 Comments:

  • As the mom of a child who will probably be doing that in a few short years, you may have gone a wee bit overboard. I know that Kelton would probably pull that (being the class clown that he already is) but I wouldn't want someone to embarrass him in front of his peers. Being a kid is hard enough.

    It reminds me of that time you had Declan in the Y room and when you came back they had been making fun of his pouty lip (something about a bird...). As a mom, I think we are hyper-sensitive to people being nice and respectful to our kids and their individual personalities.

    And yet....I'm not sure what a better response should be.

    By Blogger Casey, at 8:05 PM  

  • I know -I've thought about it. I'm really into Love and Logic and natural consequences, but what would a natural consequence be?

    I clearly drew the line in the sand and he stepped over it...I guess I saw it as a challenge to authority.

    BTW Kelton may be a clown, but his relationships with adults are VERY important to him. I think he would be a delight to have in class. I think he'd always be looking to do the right thing and stay on the teachers "good" side.

    By Blogger One Boys Mom, at 8:13 PM  

  • I totally LOVE what you did. Was it appropriate? I don't know, but it doesn't seem much over the line, if any. You gave simple instructions, he violated them purposefully to get attention, and he got it. I hear what Casey is saying, and agree I wouldn't want my child to be needlessly embarrassed, but if he brings it on himself for being disrespectful, he might deserve it. Kids have to learn consequences, better in a fairly safe, controlled environment than out in the real world where they might learn it by mouthing off at their first job - and getting fired.

    You go!
    -D

    By Blogger Dakota, at 12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home