The Journey

Thursday, August 03, 2006


Our Morning:

Me: (politely) "I need you to get dressed Declan"

Declan ignores me

Me: (less politely) "Get dressed Declan."

Declan starts whining/crying: "I'm too cold, you do it"

Me: (sternly) "If you get dressed you won't be cold"

Declan: (still crying) "But why do I have to do EVERYTHING?"

Me: (kinda pissed now) "Declan you are 4 years old, it is your responsibility to dress yourself. You don't do everything -who buys groceries and cooks and washes the clothes?"

Declan: "You're making me feel badder!" (referring to my tone of voice)

Me: "Well, if you did things the first time I asked, when I use my nice voice, I wouldn't have to use my irritated voice."

Declan: (sad voice, very dramatic) "Oh, I'm sorry Mom, I didn't hear you. Can we try it again?"

Me: (nice voice) "Declan could you get dressed?"

Declan: (noticing that while my voice is nice, my face still looks a little irritated) "Why do you have that face on? "

Me: "Well, I've had a frustrating morning." (This exchange plus the earlier incident where he wondered out of the house while I was showering and I couldn't find him for TWO, very long, very frightening minutes...causing me to have even more fear about the LAKE HOUSE - he was in my car)

Declan: (smiling now, very sweet) "That face looks good on you mom!"

And how was your morning?

1 Comments:

  • Adorable conversation. I LOVE this age. Paxton is really starting to make so many more connections and to think a little more abstractly. The window into their minds is such a gift.

    By Blogger He who wears the most black wins., at 10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home