The Journey

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Well Now...

...that was in interesting week.

The kids are AWESOME. I love this age. My co-workers (well my immediate grade level team) are incredibly supportive. My Principal is an amazing advocate for BOTH the kids and the staff. However, it was a VERY, VERY tough week due to the fact my student with medical issues wasn't being cared for properly. It was insane how poorly it was handled. After several emails to the nurse and several conversations with our building nurse and district nurse and vice-principal I had enough and went to the Principal with the whole ordeal.

Actually at about 9 am Friday morning I was in the counselors office crying (the school counselor has become somewhat of a friend) I said I needed to speak to the Principal and gave her a run down of the fiasco. She was shocked, irritated, and very supportive. Those of you who know me IRL, know I'm NOT a crier. It was so stressful I can't even go into it on the blog. It also doesn't help that I'm a brand new teacher and I was desperately trying to work it out without going over anyone's head (four days later I realized that wasn't working).

Finally, the issue is being dealt with and I feel like a huge weight has been lifted. Now I can really enjoy my kids :)

Oh...and I received this email today (which was copied to my vice-principal):

Teacher,

I wanted to thank you for the extra effort you took to communicate to us on the Advanced Math class. You called us 3 times, to let us know the process this past week, to let us know how our son scored on the first class test this week, and finally to let us know that he was accepted. All 3 times you called were well outside of normal school hours. The Advanced Math process and communication has been a point of frustration for us, and your follow up has been sincerely appreciated.

Thanks again,
Janet


I think it's going to be a VERY good week!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home