The Journey

Monday, September 24, 2007

New Rx

So, looks like I was lucky enough to catch an intestinal virus after my wonderful respiratory virus. Doc gave me 2 new drugs. The pharmacist warns that one Rx might make my neck muscles get stiff--- WHAT? . I then look at the laundry list of possible horrible things (difficulty swallowing, mask-like face, shuffling walk, puffing of cheeks, lip smacking - WHAT, again I say WHAT. ) I decided to research this drug... Compazine. Seems it is given for nausea AND schizophrenia. Some side effects can be irreversible:

Compazine should not be administered at doses of more than 20 mg per day or for longer than 12 weeks, because the use of Compazine at higher doses or for longer intervals may cause persistent tardive dyskinesia that may prove irreversible (see WARNINGS ).

Okay. He prescribed 10 mg every 6 hours. Ummmm -not taking THAT drug.

I'm off to lay on the sofa and hope my other meds do the trick.

1 Comments:

  • I've taken compazine with no major side effects. Mostly just made me sleepy. I took it back when I was having several migraines a month. I don't think I ever took more than 20mg at a time. Maybe you could just take a dose a day instead of every six hours....OR...you could talk with the pharmacist about what you read, what you were prescribed and what s/he thinks OR you could call your doc and inquire. I'm sorry - it sucks to have to be your own advocate when you feel like crap.

    Feel better soon.

    By Blogger Casey, at 7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home